May 5, 2016

Reasoning Ability: Syllogism Set-1

Directions (Q. 1 - 10): In this question two/three statments followed by two conclusions numbered I and II have been given. You have to take the given statements to be true even if they seem to be at variance with commonly known facts and then decide which of the given conclusions logically follows from the given statements disregarding commonly known facts.

Given answer
1) if only conclusion I is true
2) if only conclusion II is true
3) if either conclusion I or II is true
4) if neither conclusion I nor II is true
5) if both conclusion I and II are true

1. Statements: Some stars are planets.
                 No planets is a moon.
    Conclusions:  I. No star is a moon.
                  II. Some stars are moons.

2. Statements: Some actors are singers.
                 All singers are dancers.
                 Some dancers are players.
    Conclusion: I. All actors being dancers is a possibility.
                II. All dancers are singers.

3. Statements: All bugs are worms.
                 Some worms are moths.
                 No moth is a fly.
    Conclusion: I. All worms are bugs.
                II. No bug is a fly.

4. Statements: Some sands are particles.
                 Some particles are glasses.
    Conclusion: I. Some glasses are definitely not particles.
                II. Some glasses being sands is a possibility.

5. Statements: Some tasks are hurdles.
                 All hurdles are jobs.
                 Some jobs are works.
    Conclusion: I. All works being hurdles is a possibility.
                 II. At least some works ate tasks.

6. Statements: No queue is a line.
                 Some queues are rows.
    Conclusions: I. No rows is a line.
                  II. All rows are lines.

7. Statements: All apartments are houses.
                 No apartment is a motel
    Conclusions: I. Some houses being motels is a possibility.
                   II. No house is a motel.

8. Statements: All plants are trees.
                Some trees are weeds.
                All weeds are shrubs.
    Conclusions: I. Some houses being motels is a possibility.
                   II. No house is a motel.

9. Statements: All grades are scales.
                         All scales are categories.
    Conclusions: I. All grades are categories.                
                           II. All categories are scales.

10. Statements: Some prices are costs.
                           Some costs are amounts.
                           All amounts are expenses.
      Conclusions: I. No expense is a cost.
                            II. At least some expenses are prices.

        Answers

         1.    3
         2.    1
         3.    4
         4.    2
         5.    1
         6.    4
         7.    1
         8.    5
         9.    1
         10.  4